Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Saturday 24th- Sunday 25th of October

Volunteers do not usually work on weekends. Most travel around the country, but since I just arrived, I didn't have time to plan a trip.
Instead I stayed in Accra. I didn't do a lot this weekend. Besides watching a couple of soccer games of the kids I am going to coach, I stayed in and around my house. Both my roomates stayed as well, so it was a nice time to get to know them.
One of the hi-lights of the weekends was watching "The Little Mermaid" and a Nigerian movie with Jasmine and Mary. The African film was awful, but at the same time so funny. I was about a princess who falls in love with a commoner and her crazy mother's reactions.
(Mary is a 13 year old girl, who lives at the house I am living at. She is nice, but really shy, and I feel bad that she is alone for a lot of the day. Mary cleans and cooks on the weekends. Mable is a lady who comes to clean and cook on weekdays.
On Sunday night 3 other girls who live in the same house returned from their weekend trips. Elsa was a girl from France, but I did not speak to her much. Lauren is from Scotland, and seemed really nice. Finally, Jesse is an American from the Boston area, who is taking a gap semester. She had been in Accra for 3 months, knows all the locals and is really friendly. I talked to her the most. She seems really chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment