Friday August 4th
I just wanted to start this post by describing the atmosphere here in Crete.
Right now there are 14 people who are at the Archelon camp.
John Conlin- leader of the camp from Leeds, England
Mel- a swiss woman who has been here since the camp first set up; I think she is 2nd in command
Tanja- another Swiss person. She likes all things Scandanavian.
Daniel- a Swedish guy, who arrived the same day that I did. He is very laid back and cool.
Nina and Katarina- two German friends who also arrived when I did.
Alex- a girl from Brisbane, Australia. Funniest person on camp and is a fan of "Summer Heights High"
Christina- a quiet French- Greek girl, who is my age. She has a very nice French accent.
Ilektra- a Greek girl who is very cool; probably the most chill person on camp.
Mckenna- a girl from Oxford, Mississippi who is also taking a gap year. We have a lot of assignments together in the future, (and since this is a few days behind I can say she is very nice, happy person) She wants to go Bungie jumping, but not here in Greece; I want to go here but she says she wont let me.
Nora- another American on a gap year: from Maine.
Becky and Jen- both are British girls, who left today
Most of the people here seem pretty nice, and cool, but they do not talk much ( I hope they do not think I'm since I talk a lot) They are also extremely funny. They seem to give everyone they meet nicknames. There is:
Popcorn man: a man who sells popcorn in town, near where we work
Spider man: a man who sells jumping spider toys in town.
Happy John: a man who goes up to all the girls in town and kisses, hugs and licks them.
Truchy: a man who works on a boat who comes and talks to us while we work in town
Really happy Greek man...
Bulgarian man: a Bulgarian man who says creepy things to the girls when we walk on the beach
There are also many nicknames for the animals here:
Brown Dog, Sandy/ White Dog, Fat Dog and Fat Dog 2 aka Fat Dog's Deputy
Now let me describe the jobs we are given here.
Morning Survey: It is when we patrol the beach looking for turtle nests and tracks, as well as ensure that all hatchlings make it to the see when they hatch. There are two beaches we patrol: HL and MR
Kiosk Shifts: The kiosk in the town of Chania. We sit inside of it and people come up to ask questions about turtles/ Archelon and to buy turtle souveniers. Most of the time they ask if they can see turtles
There are 3 kiosk shifts
K1- 10:00- 2:30, we set up the Kiosk
K2- 2:30- 6:30
K3- 6:30- 11:00, we clean up and close the Kiosk
to get to the Kiosk, we have to take a 30 minute bus ride to Chania
Slide Shows/ Information Tables: We go to different hotels and restuarants and inform people about the problems the turtles are facing.
Shading nests: What I did with funneling the turtles to the sea
Cooking, Cleaning and Repairs of the camp
Today I had a K1 shift with Nora. Only 15 people came to talk to us, and we only sold two things. Nora told me about what she wants to do in college, Anthropology and Sociology, and I told her about Jug Day and Animal Noise C Day.
When I got back to camp I went swimming the sea, and then cooked dinner for the camp. Me and Mckenna cooked creamy Zuccini and Walnut in cheese with apples servec on rice. (Are camp is glutten- tolerant and vegetarian, so its hard finding original foods/ we used a cook book to make it as well) At first I liked the taste, but as I kept eating it, I realized I did not; I felt bad for the other people who had to eat it.
After dinner I talked with Christina and Ilektra. I asked Christina about my favorite holiday, Bastille Day, and she told me it is a big deal in France. I got kind of jealous. Then we talked about music. They both like rock and trip hop (whatever that is), and either had no idea of or laughed as the artists I mentioned.
Afterwards I went to sleep. I was trying to set my alarm clock up before I fell asleep, but i touched a button, and it would not stop ringing. it was pretty histerical but annoying at the same time. When I finally turned it off, I could here Christina and Ilkertra laughing. I too that it was hilarious.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment