Today Should Have Sucked... but in the end it was the best day here.
All I had was morning survey, so I decided to go on an excursion to go bungee jumping. Since morning survey ends at like 8:15, I decided to take an 8:30 bus to Chania. Bungee Jumping was in Hersonisos, a town 45 minutes to the east of Heraklion, and Heraklion is 3 hours from Chania. I had a long day of traveling ahead of my, but I brought a book and my ipod, and I was going to relax. I finally got to Hersonisos at 2:00, and was told that Star Village, the place where the B. jumping is was a 45 minute walk from the town. I walked through this village, realizing what a nice place it was. There were many shops and restaurants, places for young people to hang out and night clubs for people to attend at night. It was a really nice place and if I ever come back, I would go back there.
I finally got to my designation, went over to the information booth and asked the manager the price for Bungee jumping. He responded "we are closed for the season. Maybe next year." I was so disappointed that I could not do the jump. Now I have to find it somewhere else.
I was not mad that I spent five hours commuting, I was just upset because it cost 40 euros to get there, and it was annoying to spend the money and not do anything. Since there was nothing I could do I went to town, grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed back to my camp site. The trip was really relaxing and the landscape was beautiful, so it was not all in vain. I got back to camp at 8:15 (almost a 12 hour trip)
Back at camp, we all had dinner together. It was the first time all the volunteers were spending time together. Usually some of us are working so we'll have a lot of people together, but not everyone. It was really a great night. We sat around talking with one another, listening to music, singing and dancing and just hanging out. We played songs from my ipod because my ipod has been dubbed the "fun" ipod. We were singing to the Jackson 5, "You're so Vain", Pink and all that kind of music. Towards the end of the night we had an Abba Marathon were we all got up and danced. Katarina even started dancing on the table. I laughed a lot this night and had a lot of fun just hanging around with these people. The non- English people also decided to teach each other bad words in their languages. Everyone's favorite was "Scheisse" for some strange reason.
We also decided to fit everyone at camp into my tent. Before coming here I was told to bring a 4 person tent to be comfortable. Well, the tent ended up being tremendous and everyone makes fun of me for it, calling it the castle or the hotel. But we decided to see if we could fit, and we easily did. I had a lot of fun and took a lot of pictures. We stayed up till 3 just chilling.
(Alex, Nora, Mckenna and John went to sleep first)
I remember Daniel getting into the Abba dancing, Mel flirting with everyone-- she is so funny and really cool, and Katarina getting into the songs to which she knew the words. I was also trying to speak French with Christina and German with Nina, but my favorite was me tapping Tanja's shoulder. I would be on her left and tap her right shoulder, and she would always turn the other way and not know it was me. If you have ever met me then they'll know what I'm talking about. Also, her name is pronounced Tania, but spelled Tanja, but I call her Tanja with the J.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment