Tuesday September 15
Today I had K1, so I woke up with only 5 hours of sleep. The people with Morning survey had only 3 hours and they needed to walk a couple of miles along the beach.
Last night was really fun, and good for the camp because the camp was kind of divided between two groups. I talk to both these groups, and I know that each one feels like the other one is exclusive. From my perspective the groups are (English Speakers aka Engs) Nora and Alex with Mel (She is Swiss), John and Mckenna, and the other is (Non Engs) Christina, Nina, Katarina and Tanja. I would not but myself or Danielle in one of the groups. I totally see how both of the groups think. The Engs think the Non Engs only talk amongst themselves. The Engs have been here longer, so have bonded and become extremely close. They have their inside jokes, so when they talk about these things the Non - Engs kind of feel left out ( I did at the beginning).
Part of the reason for this split, I feel, is Nina and Katarina decided they did not like it here and have chosen to go home. The other non Engs are also excited to go home as well, and keep saying things about it, and the Engs get annoyed that they want to leave so badly. The night before kind of help heal that divide, but the next day the rift was still there.
(Just want to mention, the 2 groups do interact with one another, and some people are more "exclusive" than others)
I am sad because I like all 3 people who are leaving. I mentioned this fact because I thought the gossip was exciting.
I had K1 and then an excavation with Mel, Daniel, Christina, Nina and Katarina. An excavation occurs 10 days after the eggs of a nest first hatch. We dug up the nest, removing everything from within it and then documenting the find. In the end we found 91 hatched eggs and 6 unhatched eggs with no embryos. I was fascinated by it, but the other, who have done many excavations said it was boring because sometimes they find alive hatchlings trapped under the sand, dead hatchlings or unhatched eggs with weak or deformed fetuses. Even though we did not see these things I was still interested.
At night I went to dinner for Alex's last night. The non-Engs all had work, except for Christina. Christina did not come because she did not feel comfortable with the other group, while the Engs thought she was being mean and stupid for not coming.
After dinner we did go to a bar for drinks with everyone at the camp, and a few other people from other camps and from around the neighborhood. The non-Engs came to this, but the table was extremely loud and crowded since there were 20 people, so they went to the bar for some drinks. They said it was because it was too crowded at the table for them to talk, while the Engs thought they were being exclusive. I sat with the Engs but left at 1 because I had Morning Survey the next morning.
The topics of conversation were Abba and the Moomins with the Engs, and Scheisse with the non-Engs. (These topics are pretty random/sad/ hysterical) The Moomins are the best because you can replace any word in a conversation with Moomin or moo- something.
I went back to camp with Mckenna, where we found a tree in the middle of the campsite. We both had never noticed it, and we thought it had either been planted there while we were at dinner or had grown 7 feet in 6 hours. It was actually one of the most bizarre things in my life.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm not MEAN or stupid!!! I hate this way of thinking! I just do what I want. I didn't know they could think so bad. It makes me sad and upset... Ridiculous!
ReplyDelete