Monday, November 23, 2009

Crazy Host, U 10 tournament and Clubbing

Saturday November 21th

Today I was woken up at 7:30 by Mary asking if I'll "take" aka have lunch. I was so pissed because she clearly could have waited to ask me that later in the day, so I yelled at her to go away. As I was falling back to sleep, I was reawaken by Mary wailing and crying histerically. I got out of bed to see what was wrong. My house mates and I were asking what was wrong and she kept telling some strange story, which I didn't understand. (Gertrude, our host had yelled at her for something). Then Getrude called the 3 volunteers, Jessye, Jasmine and myself, into the living room, and had a serious conversation with us.
Yesterday when Jasmine returned from the hospital, she realized some money and her phone were missing. She looked for her things for hours, but did not find them, so she told Gertrude. Gertrude started yelling at us about the situation, and started to put the blame on all three of us volunteers. What pissed me off, was that she insisted that it was not a Ghanaian, and wouldn't even think to blame them. When the "police" came to the house, they only checked Jasmine's/ Jessye's room. They didn't check my room, Mary's room, Gertrude's room or Gertrude's son's room. I would have been pissed if they went through my stuff, but the police should have checked all the rooms. Instead they kept blaming the volunteers. It could have easily been me or Jessye who stole Jasmine's things, but it also could have been one of many other people who live/ work in the house, and it pissed me off how they kept putting the blame on us, primarily Jessye.
After she yelled at us, and the police "checked" the house, I left. I went to the U 10 tournament near where I lived. This was cool, because I got to chill with the kids all day, and watch them play soccer. They were all taking pictures and stealing my iPod to listen to music. One of the kids Malik kept replaying the 1 Ghanaian song on my phone, and wouldn't stop singing it. The goalie, Joseph kept playing the same Akon song on my iPod, and Edom took the strangest pictures of a cartoon book. These kids are honestly the funniest people I have ever met, and I'm going to miss them a lot when I go. Then Alexandra came to the field to watch the game. The other day I told all the kids she was Chinese, so they all bowed to her when she walked to our team, and then they all wanted to do Karate with me. She then told the kids about how she didn't believe in God and explained evolution to them. Charlie, who was also there got really upset, because for them religion is teh only thing that gives them hope. I thought it was interesting to hear what the kids have to say about Religion.
I was like in between the view points of the kids and Alexandra. I the proposed a question for them. Who will go to heaven, a person who doesn't believe in God but saves other people, or a beliver who kills. Most of them said the killer, and 1 or 2 said neither. When Alexandra left, they all came up to me and asked if she was joking.
Well, after this converstaion they all wanted me to come to Church. I went home to get dressed quickly and then met them at Church with Henriette. The service was very different than what I am used to. It was a lot of preaching and quoting scripture. It was a mass just for the kids and adults on the soccer teams, so there were people there from ages 8-35.
They did a lot singing and praying aloud. Like most Catholics, I pray quietly, usually in my head, so when I was not screaming and speaking in tongues, the boys were asking why I wasn't praying. There was one point where they played music, and everyone got up from their chairs, started to sing songs and were dancing around the room. That was pretty cool; they all got so into the songs, and all seemed so happy. Seeing them so happy, and seeing them with hope in their eyes, made me smile and see that they have something to live and strive for.
After the mass, the kids walked me to the taxi, and I promised them to teach them about Santa and Christmas carols.
From the church I headed to Champs, a sports bar in a hotel. I couldn't find it, so a hooker came over to help me find the club. She told me she wanted me inside her, and that I should take her inside the club. I said I would come later. (To get in the club there was a huge bouncer name Cyborg-- honestly the strongest man ever.)
In the bar, I met a few other volunteers: Jessye, Louise, Justin, Julie, Andy and Jasmine. I also made friends with a German guy who randomly sat at our table, named Christian. It was kareokee night, so we were all singing along with the people who were singing. Then Jessye, Christian, Jasmine, Louise and I went up and sang "Hot n Cold" by Katy Perry; we were awful.
We stayed there for another 2 hours, just singing to kareokee and then dancing to local Ghanaian music. I was primarily dancing with Louise.
After Champs was closing, I wanted to go home, but Jasmine wanted to stay out later, so I did because it was her last night. Jessye, J-les, Louise and I went with a guy Jasmine met to a club named Tantra. We all got inside for free, and were on the dance flotor for a while. I was with Louise the whole time...
As we got home, the sun was rising. I went into Jasmine's room, and stayed in Jessye's old bed (Jessye moved out today).

No comments:

Post a Comment