Thursday October 29th
Today I had to wake up at 6:15 because we are now forced to start senior training 2 hours earlier. Morning training with the seniors was boring. I did not do much at all.
After training, I went back home. The school where I live had professional day, where the kids dress up as things they want to be when they are older. Some kids had normal dreams like to become nurses, policemen, lawyers, soccer players and doctors, but others had the wierdest aspirations. My favorite one were bus driver, butler and "pregnant." Some kids also dressed up in traditional African robes which was cool.
They were no classes today, so the kids were just playing and fooling around all day. When I enetered the school yard, I saw people playing African Drums and kids dancing around them. Some girls pulled me over to the circle and made me dance with them. They wanted me to do all these African moves, and I tried, but they all kept laughing at me. Then a group of 3rd graders pulled me to their class room, and wanted me to teach them American dance moves; I taught them all the corny ones! They also all started singing random songs for me, like "London Bridge is Falling Down", "Humpdy- Dumpdy", "Mary had a Little Lamb", and the Scooby Doo theme song( they didn't know that song very well- it consisted of them shooting "Scooby Dooby Doo where are you!! It was so funny!) Then I took out my camera to take pictures, which was a huge mistake because they all swarmed me. They all wanted to take all the pictures as well as been in every picture, so they were pushing and yelling so much. Even though they were literally crawling on me and suffacating me, it was really fun. I also went to visit the nursery where I visit every day, and took some pictures with them.
Then a really nice teacher named Mike started talking with me.He asked me about American and told me about Ghanaian Culture; he even invited me to his village one weekend. He took me upstairs to his 5th grade class where I took more pictures. The kids were drumming and banging on the desks, so I danced with them and taught them to Stomp the Quad in Africa.
After a few hours I went back to the fielf for U 12 training. I ran a few drills, like normal. I talked with the kids, but besides that nothing exciting happened.
Thursdays are the day all the volunteers go to Ryan's Irish pub with mostly Westerners. This was a lot of fun. I met a few more volunteers and got a chance to talked to a lot of people. I played fooseball with Kelly- we were team Asia!!! I also met a girl who lived next to Northwestern, who was in love with the school, which made me happy!!
Jasmine also was crazy as usually!! She kept wanting to go clubbing, and then she lost the key!! This was a lot of fun!!
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment