Thursday, November 19, 2009

Insane Soccer Game

Sunday November 15th

Today I woke up tp exchange money and check bus times for my trip I have been planning to Bolgatanga, a city in northern Ghana. Well, neither goals were accomplished because all the banks as well as the bus station were closed. (I then decided not to go to the north because it would be way to big of a deal). Instead I went to the field and met Emmanual, and sat and chatted with him for a while.
Afterwards. I headed to a soccer game th senior team was playing in. Unlike most of the games we play, it was an away game, so we had to go to La Bone, a different section of Accra. This match was honestly one of the craziest things I have ever seen.
For the first 70 minutes it was fairly normal, but with around 20 minutes of play left the insanity began. One of the players kicked the ball out of bounds. Instead of getting the ball back to play with it, one of the opponent's fans stole the ball and ran away with it. (For some reason our team had to supply the ball, and stealing it was an act of revenge for the other team.) Well, then players and fans from our team stared chasing that theif. Soon afterwards, everyone stormed the pitch and massive arguemnts began. Then, a man with a machete came from somewhere and started threatening and hit our players. A huge brawl broke out to disarm the man. The man was soon subdued, but the arguements continued. At this point the fighting was primarily based around the other team and the ref. The ref said that the game would not continue unless they gave the ball back to our team. The other team said that our team had the ball back already, and that we were hiding it. The ref checked our bags, found no ball, and after several more shouting matches, declared that our team had won.
The players were dancing and celebrating, and going crazy themselves; you would have thought they won the championship.
We walked back our headquarters, which wasn't too far, singing and celebrating all the way there. Now, here is my favorite part of the story. It turns out that we actually had the ball, and we cheated in order to win. I thought it was screwed up that we cheated (especially how they were claiming how God had united them to win), but they did attack us with a sword, and allow the situation to get out of hand.
It was honestly the craziest, funniest event that I have experienced this year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment