Wednesday November 11th
Today I was still upset about my really crappy day yesterday and the whole incident with Richard, the U 12 coach.
Instead of the senior team practicing, they played a friendly match. This was nice because I left early to walk around with Henriette. We went to the post office because Henriette needed to pick up a package, and I needed to drop off post cards. One of the players of the senior team told us that we needed to go to Accra post office. When we arrived at the building, we were told it was the wrong office, and that we needed to head to Circle post office. Even though it was the wrong place, and was out of the way, it was cool to see a new part of the city, and to walk through a crazy market place.
Then we headed to Circle. This is a huge center in the city of Accra. It is really confusing and complex, and we were being told the wrong information by all the pedestrians we asked. Even worse, you can only cross the street in one, so every time we needed to go to the other side of the street, we had to walk through the hectic markets. We finally did everything we needed to do at the post office and Circle, so we returned back to the field.
By this time senior training was finished. I went to the soccer team's "office," and hung out with some of the players. We watched a Chinese martial arts movie, and I ate lunch with the kids. I had a local dish called Kenkey. It is corn smashed up into a ball, which people dip into a pine nut, spicey soup, usually with fish. It was actually not too bad, but I didn't finish it, so the kids were happy to eat my food. I also talked with one kid, Edom, and I found out he really likes ancient Greece. He let me see a history book he had, and was telling me all about the myths! (Even in Ghana, the Greeks are loved!!!)
I also took one of the players, Malik, to the pharmacy to buy him medicine because he was feeling ill. It was really cool, just chilling with the kids.
At U 12 training, Richard wouldn't talk to me. Finally after training, he called me over, and told me that he didn't send Emmanual over to me to get money, and he was disappointed that I would make something like this up. I just said it was a miscommunication; I didn't want to start any problems because I have to come back here every day.
Right after practice, I went to dinner at Melting Moments with Chris, Henriette, Alex, Jesse, Anna, Alexandra, Lauren, Flourianne, Jasmine, Laura and Matt. Matt is Laura's friend who works/ lives in the orphanage where Laura works. He is not with Projects Abroad, he just came by himself to work there for 2 weeks. He is from Seattle, and was really cool.
After dinner, Jasmine, Laura, Flourianna and I met Andy and went to "Reggae Night" at La Bodi beach. The beach was fool of Rastas offering everyone/ smoking a lot of weed. I was kept being offered, which I thought was funny. I told them I was a professional soccer player so I couldn't smoke; they all believed me! Laura, Jasmine and I all had fake names when the Rastas came over to harrass us and sell us weed. At first Jasmine and I were Julia and Zoookc, but then we transformed into new people. Jasmine was Ellen from Degenerous, Laura was Oprah from Winfrey and I was Montel from Williams. It was really funny because they all kept saying they new where these places were(apparently Degenerous is in Jamaica!). I also danced with a girl named Evelyn. She was honestly the funniest person I've ever met. Whenever the waves came near us she would run away and scream "it's coming." She taught me how to dance the correct way to Reggae music. It was a really fun and funny night, but we didn't stay out too late because we had work the next day.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment